This has been the longest week evvver!! I'm so happy that it is almost over.
This week I've had too many projects going on at once which usually leads to a lot of frustration and mess-ups.
First project was the glider. We bought an espresso glider because when my little bean was born he slept in our room and our furniture is espresso. Now that he has his own room I wanted to put it in there as a reading chair but his furniture is all white. So of course I had to paint it!
I started out by doing a rough sand all over (the places I could reach anyways since the glider portion was hard to reach). Then I applied a spray primer. I let it sit and then went back over with Rustoleum satin white. I had to keep going back because some of those glider pieces were almost impossible to reach!
Well I put the tan cushion back on and decided that it needed updating too. I have some old brown canvas curtains that I had in the donation box so I cut out pieces to try to sew covers for the old cushions. I thought that if I traced it exactly that even with the seam allowance they would fit *snug* ---yeh no. I squeezed those cushions in there just for the heck of it and it looks sooooo silly! At least I didn't waste any money on fabric and I can probably use it for something else still. So I have to purchase new fabric for that. I'll post pics when it's all done!
Next up was my ugly cat chair that I found at the Goodwill. I've been on the search for a chair to put in the basement and finally wandered upon this beauty. I love the lines just not the color or pattern on it. This is my first attempt at reupholstering so it's been a real learning experience!
I began by removing all of the staples to get the fabric out using only a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. I did well in most spots but some spots I just gave up and cut the fabric off.
I then laid out all the old fabric and cut out pieces from my new fabric. The corners of the bottom cushion needed to be sewed together and it took me hours to finally get it on right! When I finally started stapling the fabric out I ran out of staples. Ahhhh!
Oh and one of my sides is a little short and I really have to pull it over to get it to cover. Not sure how it's going to turn out but I'll make a post on it when I'm all done.
Finally we have the nursery letters that I decided to cover with scrapbook paper. I used spray adhesive to attach the paper but when I cut the letters out with a utility knife I ended up with all of these frayed edges (the picture at the top of this post).
I was able to use a fine sanding paper and get it looking okay but once they were on the wall I decided that I didn't even like the pattern on the paper! So I'll be re-doing them but this time I'm going to trace the letters and cut them out with scissors before applying them. Hopefully that they turn out much better.
There were also a few more failed projects that included a throw pillow, piping and the dining room table that I've been working on. Ugh! Oh well at least I am learning from my errors!