Happy Friday! I am so ready for the weekend, I feel like this week has been super long! We're planning on going to the pumpkin patch tomorrow so I'm really looking forward to that.
Even though I usually go all neutral on throw pillows, I was really craving some fun pops of color this fall. I searched the racks at Joann's but didn't finding anything that really clicked. Then I was at Homegoods one day and found these gorgeous napkins and they were exactly what I was looking for!
I used my easy envelope pillow technique that I've shared many times before, but since the napkins already had hemmed edges they were even easier, if you can imagine that :)
I started by cutting out the pillow front from one napkin, which is the same size as my pillow insert plus 1" for seam allowance.
Next, I laid the front piece facing up, and the two back pieces face down on top. Notice that I did not cut my two back pieces in equal halves (I wanted them offset a little) and that I made sure to put the finished seams in the middle since these will be visable once the pillow cover is sewn.
I sewed around all four edges and when I flipped it inside out I was ready to insert the pillow!
Since the napkins came in a four pack, I was able to make two of these.
I usually have the back pieces overlap a little more, but as you can see the size of the napkin didn't really give this option so the pillow insert was kind of peeking out a little. To fix this, I sewed on a button and it actually looks pretty cute! I sewed on two more since taking this picture so each now has three and it keeps the pillow in there nice and snug.
On another trip to Homegoods (yes, I frequent this place often!) I found the most adorable pumpkin dishtowel. It came in a pack with a plaid one which I knew would be perfect for the back.
The process was ultimately the same, only I had enough material to make the overlap bigger on this one.
I first cut out my pillow front.
See all of that extra I had this time to make the back pieces? I cut the second dishtowel in half and then trimmed off the excess from each so that when they were put on top of each other they overlapped by about 6".
Remember to put the already hemmed edges in the middle!
I love how this one turned out!
I love the embroidery detail on the pumkin, it makes it even harder to believe that this was once a dishtowel.
And the mismatched back makes it more interesting.
I think both the napkins and the dishtowels were $6, so for $12 I made three very cute fall pillow covers! The inserts are the $3 ones from IKEA but they have held up great for the year that I've had them.
Have a great weekend everyone, I'll be back next week to share some pictures of our trip to the pumpkin patch and then hopefully...the big boy room!!
Linking up to these awesome parties!
This post was featured on Inspire Me Wednesday hosted by Adventures of Mel and Fall Into Fall hosted by DIY By Design. Click on the images below to take you to the feature posts!