So you know it's a Monday when all of the following happens within the first couple of hours of being awake...
- I turned my alarm off instead of hitting snooze which resulted in me frantically trying to get the boys and myself ready in half the time.
- Our toilet started to flood our master bathroom.
- My rear car doors were frozen shut (yes, in May) so I had to take the hubby's car since I couldn't load the boys in mine.
- My oh so opinionated and cranky two year old cried the ENTIRE drive to my parent's house.
- A truck slid on some ice, hit the car behind me and came inches from hitting me (remember--in my husband's car...)
And I bring this post to you as I sit here on the train which is now delayed due to a power outage...
On a more positive note, I finished up a cute little make over on a chicken wire memo box that I found on clearance at Kohls for 3 bucks and some change. Originally I was going to stash it with my fall decor but I decided that I just couldn't wait that long to use this little cutie!
I began by removing the back which was just attached with some small nails.
I then applied a coat of espresso colored paint as my base coat. Once that dried I went over it with two coats of my DIY chalk paint in white.
For the edges next to the chicken wire I used a tiny brush.
Distressing was a little tricky. There's usually no such thing as using too much pressure, but in this case I didn't want the orange to show through so I used a fine sandpaper and went very gently so that only the espresso would show through. It was kind of tough!
For the back, I debated on using scrapbook paper, fabric or paint. Since both paper and fabric would require me to leave the house, I chose paint haha. I first just used some more espresso paint.
But it was too dark once I got it all put back together and hung up. So I took it apart and used some cocoa colored chalkboard paint instead! I also rubbed some white chalk on for some added interest.
My careful distressing was worth the effort because it turned out beautifully!
To be completely honest with you, I don't really know what we will keep on here. For now I just have an old picture of us and some stamps.
It was a super simple and quick little project. It's amazing some of the things that people will pass up in the clearance section just because it's out of season! Even though I actually liked it before, this is much better since we get to enjoy it year round :)
Have a happy Monday peeps, I hope everyone has a better one than the one I'm having!
Linking up to these awesome parties!