Hello and happy Friday everyone! Sorry for the late post this week, we were in our friends' wedding last weekend. Even though we got back to town on Monday it's taken me almost all week to get back into routine haha.
It was a perfect wedding though! The ceremony setting was absolutely gorgeous and the reception was so much fun! It was wonderful getting to see all of the hard work put in by everyone over the past year finally all come together.
(source: Sound Master Entertainment)
But now it's back to reality and I have a whole list of things that need to get done as we head into fall, including catching you all up with my most recent projects. Today's post will be about the giant planter box that I recently made.
During the design process for the basement makeover one of my very first ideas was to place a super long planter filled with hydrangeas along the top of the entertainment center. I kept putting off purchasing the wood to build it, but one day I realized that I still had a ton of the old wood that I discovered in the backyard, and I knew that it would be perfect for this project.
(If you've been following the last few posts you've heard a lot about my backyard wood discovery but I promise that this should be the last you'll hear about it, at least for a little while.. )
Supplies Used: (Affiliate links may be provided for convenience. For more info, see my full disclosure here.)
- 2x6 piece of wood
- 1x6 piece of wood
- Wood screws
- White paint
- Corner Braces (aka L-brackets)
I began by placing the mason jars that I planned on using on a piece of scrap 1x6 to determine if it was long enough to use, which it was. The 1x6 was leftover pine that I had previously painted white, but I figured that nobody is going to look at the bottom so it worked perfectly.
From here measured out what length the sides needed to be cut at and then assembled them with wood glue.
I let it sit overnight using bricks to help hold it together.
I had actually planned on the wood glue being enough to hold this together since it's not going to get moved around a ton, but as soon as I picked this heavy monster up, it up it fell apart on me. So I had the hubby go back and reinforce all four sides with wood screws after I applied the wood glue again.
After giving the entire thing a quick sand to smooth out any rough edges, I gave the entire piece two coats of white wash (super watered down paint).
Then I spray painted some L-brackets with Rust-Oleum hammered spray paint and added them to the edges for that industrial look. If you forget to spray the screws (like I may or may not have...) you can spray a little in the can lid and use a small paintbrush to dab some on.
I only had 4 hydrangeas on hand so I will probably add another one later on.
The gray wood tones are perfect and I love that the wood was weathered this way by good old Mother Nature.
The photos above were taken in the kitchen because of the limited natural light in the basement but you can kind of get a peek of it sitting on the entertainment center in the back of this picture that I shared when I showed you my DIY Faux Card Catalog.
...along with the sound bar and modem that my husband insists on having here. Although he did throw a fit about it "taking away from the view" of his gigantic TV, so it's a compromise that we're living with for now haha.
Have a fun and safe holiday weekend everyone, I'll be back next week! :)
Linking up to these awesome parties!